Other Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2020

Clothes from Yesteryear 4

 Here are four of the very earliest dresses I made.

Sarah Lynn, 12, and Sparkle, a German Shepherd/Collie mix, at Echo Lake, halfway up Mt. Evans, Colorado.  My Uncle Don said, "That dog is smarter than you! -- because... you taught her everything you know, and the dog knew something in the first place."  😂

My friend Martha and I with Sparkle at Lake McConaughy, western Nebraska.  We made our matching dresses together, starting a years-long tradition of sewing together.

Here I am at age 13 with my little Sunday School class, the 4-6-year-olds.  A poor picture, but I love it just the same.  
The shawl collar on the dress I'm wearing was the first one I ever attempted.  I had to have a little help from my sister-in-law Janice to get it right.
The third boy from the right -- the blond one resting his chin on his fist -- is my nephew Robby, aka Robert Walker, now the pastor of our church.  He's a little taller now -- he's 6' 3", to be exact.

Sarah Lynn, 14, 10th grade.  You can't see much of this one... but I can tell you that I was pretty proud of that double collar, and you can see that I loved ruffles from the beginning of my sewing journey.  The skirt was yellow, and there was a wide yellow sash.  Can you see all the tucks in the bodice?  

The fabric is single knit.  The Singer machine my brother Loren gave me when I was 8 years old did a fairly nice job with knits, if I used a ball-point needle.


No comments:

Post a Comment