Other Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2020

Clothes from Yesteryear 7

 

See the pin on Hannah's jumper?  It was a tiny silver teapot on a stick pin, with a little chain hanging down and connecting to a tiny teacup at the other end.  If the pin was angled just so, the chain would then look like a pouring stream of coffee.  I'd totally forgotten until I started scanning all these old pictures how I used to put some of my jewelry -- necklaces or pins -- on the girls when I was getting them all dressed up to go somewhere.  A couple of the girls, upon seeing some of these photos in the last few days, have commented on how much they enjoyed wearing my jewelry.



Dorcas' little suit was made for Kenny and Annette's wedding with remnants from my own suit.

My late sister-in-law Janice made the china doll for Hannah.  Can you tell she's concentrating on being very, very careful with it?

Hannah's vest and skirt were made from a sweater of Larry's that he had grown out of.  The first day I put it on her, she could hardly wait for Larry to get home, so she could go running (giggling all the way) and inform him, "Daddy!  I'm wearing your sweater!"

Teddy's pants were made from an old skirt of mine.


June 10, 1979

My dress (I'm on the right, next to the bride, Martha) and the other bridesmaid's dress were made from a Gunne Sax pattern.  They were of the stretchiest single knits we had ever worked with, and it took an act of congress to get the hems straight.  As you can see, the other bridesmaid's skirt stretched after she was done with it, and wound up dragging the floor.  And it had been so perfect!

But let me tell you what happened on the wedding night, after the sermon:

My father finished preaching, prayed, and then said, "Will the wedding party take their places."

The bride and her attendants arose, as did the groom and his groomsmen.  We stepped forward to the alter, and the wedding ceremony commenced.

And then Martha and Carey Gene were husband and wife, and it was time to step back to the pew and then file out while the congregation sang the closing hymn.  The newly married couple would go first, followed by Larry and me, then the other bridesmaid and groomsman, the candlelighters next, and finally the ringbearer and flowergirl.  Since the pew was only a few steps back, we did not turn around; we just backed up.

Problem:

Sitting in that strrrretchy single knit dress through the service had stretched the back of the skirt, and it was no longer half an inch above the floor.

I stepped on the hem.

This pulled me backwards a little, so I automatically stepped back quickly with the other foot to catch myself.

That foot wound up even farther up the hem, jerking me back all the more.

By now, I was leaning backwards at a precarious angle, as I effectively walked up the inside of the back of the skirt.

The outcome would have been nothing less than ignominious, if the backs of my legs had not suddenly ka-bonked into the pew, which brought me up short and prevented me from landing flat on my back in front of the entire congregation.

I did not willingly wear a floor-length thneed (à la Dr. Seuss' The Lorax) ever again.

Sarah Lynn, 16, senior picture, 1977

Sarah Lynn, 12, 8th grade
The yoke on that jumper was not easy.  But I got it done!

No comments:

Post a Comment